Friday, May 30, 2008

Who knew I would be dancing by the CEO on Day 3?

Qualcomm conducts a BREW Conference each year in San Diego, where BREW developers, customers, and marketing members across multiple telecom companies come together to hear a variety of speakers and demonstrations on our BREW product. (BREW is a Qualcomm solution which consists of a code platform that non-Qualcomm cell phone developers can "write on top of". This allows them to use a common code set which includes basic functionality like an address book and call history log, but customize the icons or add other specialized graphics or applications on the cell phone chip as wanted).

Why on earth would I be excited that the BREW conference was coming to San Diego this week? The answer is simple. A group of old friends from Qualcomm Boulder came to San Diego for the week to attend the conference! Last night, my good friend Stevi called me and said, "Katie! The finale of the BREW conference is a concert and free dinner in the Gaslamp District in downtown San Diego. I have an extra ticket! Can you come?" I accepted and took an exciting drive down I-5 to the heart of San Diego. The entire main street of the Gaslamp District was blocked off. The edges of the roads were lined with free gourmet food, all leading towards a huge concert stage where the performance from a legendary rock band titled "LIVE" would perform. The concert was wonderful (and quite loud), and the company of my old Boulder friends was great. After the concert, we decided to go to some of the bars on the street. (Generally, my age would restrict me from entering these bars at night. However, I was lucky that the percentage of Qualcomm workers under 21 is probably less than 0.5% . Thus, no IDs were checked and I was able to spend more time with my friends!) We were all hanging out and dancing while devouring the free table of desserts. Then we noticed someone on the dance floor. Paul Jacobs, the CEO of Qualcomm global, was dancing only a few feet away from us with his wife. Having seen Mr. Jacobs speak on numerous occasions, I cannot tell you how excited I was to be so close to someone I deeply respect. My friend Stevi and I seized the moment and got a picture with him. I will post it on this blog as soon as she uploads the pictures to her computer! Needless to say, the whole night seemed very surreal. Who would have thought I would be chatting and sipping a long island iced tea along side the CEO on my third day at Qualcomm SD?

No comments: