Friday, June 13, 2008

...all companies provide free stand-up comedy shows on the lunch hour, right?

I am convinced I will eventually find a week where work and play here in San Diego are not just marvelous. But that time hasn't arrived yet! Since today is the superstitious Friday the 13th, one might except chaos. Yet all signs so far point to smooth sailing.

I worked 3 hours OUTSIDE this week. As a member of a team which works on sensor quality testing for the cameras in cell phones, I get to participate in some of the "field testing". This excruciatingly difficult (haha) work invovles walking around outside with various colorful objects and taking pictures. I am still in shock that I get PAID to do that! There is a small downside though. The camera sensors have to get tested at dusk and under the night sky. Thus, I'll be having a late night here soon. On the upside, if an employee past 6PM Qualcomm will provide you with a free, hot meal!

I was also recently recruited to sit on an "Intern Steering Committee", which is composed of 5 people who help come up with ideas on how to connect interns together. My first task as a committee member? We are conductnig a t-shirt design contest for the 500 QCT interns all over the globe, and the committee will be selecting the top 3 designs for a global vote!

Have you ever just sat in your office and thought to yourself, "You know what I want right now? I would love a free stand-up comedy show at lunch today. Oh, and better yet, I would like it to be right here in my building in one of the conference rooms with free snacks and drinks." Oh, you haven't ever thought that? Me neither. But now, I think about it every day! For that is exactly what happened yesterday at lunch. The comedians were both very funny, especially given that they were catering to a very diverse group of people and cultures!

On Wednesday night, I had a chance to show off my apartment to the Stucka family and my parents who are in town. We also managed to snag a bite of my favortie frozen yogurt shop close to my apartment! Tonight I look forward to going to stay with them and Christy and Justin in a beach house they rented. It seems that I am not the only family member living in a dream!

Last but not least, I know you all care about updates on Angie and Julie. Angie and I talked on the phone for about an hour yesterday exchanging adventures of our new cities. Angie is busy taking the subway and managing fashion shows, while she stays in NYU dorms in the fabulous New York City. She gets to speak and interact with top designers and celebrities (literally) on a daily basis! Julie is working in Denver with United Launch Alliance (ULA). She truly is a rocket scientist! We are both getting really excited for her to come and visit over the 4th of July weekend!

Perhaps I was wrong about nothing bad happening today on Friday the 13th: the US Open Golf Tournament is in town, and I have a feeling traffic will be frightening on the commute home! I love and miss you all!

No comments: